Saturday, May 19, 2007

My Day at the Farm

Today I got up early -- for a Saturday -- and I had no idea where we were going. Tante Becca had sent us to bed early so we could get up at 7:30 a.m. I was up at 6 a.m., but my cousins could barely wake up.

We went to the farm of my aunt's friend Leslie. The farm is north of where we live outside Brownsburg. I love going to the farm because they have lots of fun equipment like dirt bikes and ATVs. There's a really neat Amish-built cabin that has the smell of cedar.

We went to plant apple and paw paw trees. Paw paws are a rare and delicious fruit found mostly in Indiana. We were planting an orchard of 20 paw paw trees and 40 apple trees. It took a long time to plant the paw paw trees. We had to do everything twice because we did it wrong the first time.

It was fun. Now I know how to plant trees. In five years, we will be able to eat the paw paws. It doesn't take as long for the apples. It takes only two years.

Tonight, we also had a birthday party for my cousin Roland. Leslie's husband George built Roland a bonfire. We also has grilled hot dogs, roasted chicken and dog-licked cake.

Roland got a couple of computer games, Yu-Gi-Oh cards and dragon toy, a Star Wars book and a yellow labradorite for his gemstone collection. His mother gives him gemstones shaped like hearts. I get cabochon gemstones. These are round polished. Alex gets gemstones shaped like Buddha statues to match the nickname his mother gave him.

No comments: